Meaty Tomato Soup
By: Ellie Vorhand
|500g flanken/marrow bones|
|1 onion diced|
|2 carrots peeled and diced|
|2 celery stalks diced|
|4 tbsp tomato paste|
|1.3 kg tomatoes cut into quarters and cores removed|
|Salt & Pepper|
|1 litre beef stock|
|2 bay leaves|
|Basil leaves for decoration|
1. Heat pot to medium high heat, add in meat / bones and sear till browned.
2. Remove meat / bones from pot and sauté the onions, carrots and celery in the oil / fat the meat has released for about 10 minutes – stir occasionally.
3. Add in the tomato paste and stir to cover the vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Once the vegetables are soft, add in the tomatoes and stir and cook them till they start to break down.
4. Then add the meat back into the pot (you can put it in a mesh bag for easy removal), the bay leaves and the stock.
5. Cover and simmer for 35 – 45 minutes.
6. Remove meat and bay leaves and blend till desired smoothness.