|½ packet (170g) Gefen jumbo macaroni shells|
|For the Mushroom Sauce:|
|1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil – for frying|
|1 small onion, finely diced|
|1 clove garlic – peeled and finely chopped|
|100g button/ brown cap mushrooms – sliced|
|300ml mushroom/ vegetable stock – use two tablespoons mushroom / vegetable stock powder with 300ml hot water|
|1 heaped tablespoon cornflourAbout 2 tablespoon water – to dissolve the cornflour|
|For the Pasta Stuffing:|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1 large onion – peeled and roughly chopped|
|4 cloves garlic – peeled and finely chopped|
|120g button/ brown cap mushrooms – roughly chopped including the stalks|
|100g hazelnuts – toasted and roughly chopped|
|75g breadcrumbs – approx. 2 slices of bread|
|3 tablespoons fresh parsley|
|½ red chilli or ½ teaspoon chilli flakes – finely chopped – optional|
|75g grated cheese – optional|
|Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and a drizzle of truffle oil|
- Cook the jumbo macaroni shells according to the packet instructions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Make the mushroom sauce by heating the oil in the frying pan on a medium heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes then add the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the stock and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl mix the cornflour with 1-2 tablespoons cold water until it dissolves. Whisk the dissolved corn flour into the simmering stock and stir well to avoid any lumps. The stock should thicken almost immediately.
- Transfer this sauce to the base of a large ovenware dish.
- For the pasta stuffing, heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts, breadcrumbs, parsley and chili if using.
- Using a spoon, fill the pasta shells and sit them on top of the mushroom sauce. Cover the ovenware dish with a lid of foil.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/ Gas mark 4. Bake for 25 minutes and then remove. Add the grated cheese if using and cook for a final 5 minutes uncovered.
- Serve immediately and finish with a sprinkling of finely chopped parsley and a drizzle of truffle oil.