Spinach Filo Pie
By: Maxine Dewhurst
|10″ deep flan dish|
|1 pack round or rectangular filo sheets|
|Olive oil or melted butter to brush|
|750g frozen chopped spinach, defrosted|
|150g feta cheese, crumbled|
|1 tsp dried parsley|
|1 tsp dried basil|
|125g baby spinach leaves|
1. Layer 6 layers of filo pastry in flan dish, each sheet brushed with olive oil or melted butter.
2. Mix the chopped frozen spinach with the eggs, crumbled feta cheese, black pepper, cumin, nutmeg, basil (fresh or dried and parsley (fresh or dried). Pour on top of filo layers.
3. Cover lightly with 2-3 more layers filo, brushed with oil or melted butter as previously.
4. Bake at 180 C for 30 mins until centre set, crust golden.
5. To fry halloumi, slice in ½ cm slices and pat dry. Place in preheated frying pan, over moderate to high heat, fry 2-3 min each side until golden.
6. Fold back pastry topping into centre, top pie with the fried halloumi and fresh spinach leaves.
7. Return to oven for 15 mins to wilt spinach and warm halloumi. Serve warm or room temperature with Greek salad.