Fig Rib Roast
By: Ellie Vorhand
|2.5 – 3kg Rib Eye joint|
|2 tbsp Salt|
|1 ½ tbsp Black Pepper|
|3 sprigs Rosemary|
|3 tbsp Olive Oil|
|1 Onion finely diced|
|5 cloves Garlic crushed and chopped finely|
|1 jar TipTree Green Fig Jam|
|½ cup Water or Beef stock|
|2 ½ cups Ruby Port|
1. Pat the meat dry and rub on the salt and pepper. Cover tightly with the rosemary sprigs on the meat and marinate over night in the fridge. Bring the meat to room temperature for 2 hours prior to cooking.
2. Place the meat on a roasting rack to allow the juices to drip off and place in the middle of the oven on 230 C for 20 minutes. Then take out the oven and let the oven cool.
3. While the meat is roasting, heat olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. When the oil is hot add in the onion and garlic and cook till soft. Then add the jam, water or stock and port. Bring to a boil and reduce down to about 1 ½ cups.
4. Turn the oven down to 180 C, brush the meat with the glaze and continue to cook the meat. Brush the meat with the glaze every 10 minutes until the middle of the meat reaches 50 C.
5. Remove meat from oven, loosely cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
6. Reheat remaining glaze and serve with the meat.
💡Tip – To serve this on Friday night, ensure the meat has cooled down completely to room temperature. Then place slightly raised on the hot plate just before Shabbos. The meat will heat up nicely and will not over cook! Heat the glaze up separately.